Domestic Violence Safety Plan

Domestic violence occurs when your partner makes you feel unsafe, afraid or powerless.

This is against the law

Everyone has the right to live without fear.

1 in 3 Australian women experience domestic violence. If you are in this situation and your children’s safety is at risk.  You may need to leave in a hurry.

What do you need to do?

In an emergency:

If you’re in danger call 000

Go to a safe place.  Safer places in your home are where there are two exits and no hard services

How to keep children safe

Seek advice on how to talk to your child about domestic violence and how to include them into your safety plan.

Make up a code work with your children for when you need help

Teach children how to dial 000 and practice what to say

My name is ……………….  My address is ……………………………. And my mum is being hurt. Tell children not to hang up the phone so services ca hears what is happening and find you.

Tell you children which neighbour, friend or relative they could run to for safety or contact in an emergency

Make a plan to leave

Get a new sim card with credit to use on your phone

Keep your bank account details private or open a new account so your abuser does not have access to your finances

Keep a bag pack so you can easily take it with you. Hide it where you can get it easily or leave it with a trusted friend

Decide who you will call if you feel threatened or in danger

It’s easier to leave if you have a clear plan.

What do you need as an escape plan? (check list)
Keys to car, house, work
Extra clothes
Birth certificates
School and medical records (immunization records)
Bank cards, credit cards, tax file number
Drivers licence, car registration
Healthcare card
Medicare card and Centrelink information
Passport, visa copies
Lease, rental mortgage and insurance papers
Pictures, jewellery, things that mean something to you
Children’s things (toys, blankets, nappies etc)
Recent photograph of your ex-partner

Once you leave the relationship

When abusers feel a loss of control, like when victims try to leave them, the abuse will often get worse.  Take special care and seek help

Get an intervention order (IO)

Get a family violence intervention order from the court.  Include your workplace and children in it.  Keep a copy with you at all times

Advise your children carers who is allowed to pick them up. Give a copy of the intervention order to police, your employer, your children’s carers and school

Security at home

Tell friends and neighbours that your abuser no longer lives with you.  Ask them to call the police if they see your abuser near you home or children.

Advise work about your situation and ask them to screen your call and you block your emails. Give a copy of the intervention order and picture of the abuser to your workplace

Change the locks on your house and car.  Consider installing stronger security doors, a security system such as cameras or alarm and outside lights

Keep your details private

Change your mobile number and have it set to private by your provider

Get a PO Box for important mail and keep your home address private

Don’t use the same stores that you did when you were with your abuser

Ask government agencies like Centrelink, med care, to keep your records private

Stay private on line

Remove yourself from all social media -Delete Facebook accounts and your kids accounts. People might accidently reveal your whereabouts and social circles without realising it.

Change your email address Avoid using any personal details as the account name

Have a computer technician check for spyware programs on your computer

Emergency numbers include:

Woman’s Domestic Violence Crisis Service 1800 015 188

Men’s referral service 1800 065 973

Kids help line 1800 551 800

Need to talk?  1880 RESPECT

Emergency 000

This information provided by Kingston City Counsel

If you are a victim of domestic violence and are suffering from PTSD, counselling and hypnotherapy can really help call Donna on 0424 300 678 to make a booking.